--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "uns_tressor"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "uns_tressor"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > madhu-kara-raajan ("honey-maker-king") = queen-bee
> > >
> > > From Vyaasa's bhaaSya on YS II 54 (pratyaahaara):
> > >
> > > yathaa *madhukara-raajaM* makSikaa utpatantamanuutpatanti
> > > nivishamaanamanunivishante tathendriyaaNi citta-nirodhe
> > > niruddhaaniityeSa pratyaahaaraH
> >
> > Our esteemed moderator should censor this gratuitous
> > filth. Anyway, did the Senator give the pants back
> > to the stripper? They can be costly.
> > Uns.
>
> On a more serious note, is there a translator
> out there for general use? Even a crude one word
> to one word translator would be interesting. There
> would be the usual problems (fruit flies like a
> banana - time flies like an arrow). And if you
> takes the above, does "maker" associate with honey
> or king? Or is it all too complex to lend itself
> to this sort of examination?
> Uns.

Actually, my understanding is that the structure of literary sanskrit
is such that those kinds of ambiguities arise very seldom. There was
a famous article in THE computer magazine nearly 40 years ago that
pointed out that a variation of the modern linguistic notation used
by computer language designers to make sure that their languages had
no hidden ambiguities had actually been invented by the mythical
Sanskrit grammarian Panini over 2,000 years ago.

"Panini-Backus form suggested" --Ingerman, PZ (1967) Communications
of the Association for Computing Machinary (ACM) 10:3 137.