---Longer mantras (e.g. the Great Compansion Mantra of Kwan Yin, the
Surangama Sutra mantra,...etc) ime, are more suitable for chanting;
and creating certain effects in relative existence.
That's one side of the coin in regard to the long mantras. The
chanting of Sutras is a standard Buddhist practice.
 Similarly, in Hinduism, the chanting of the 1000 Names of one's
favorite Deity is a common practice; in which the 1000 Names can be
considered one lengthy mantra.