--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutp...@...> wrote:

> Enlightenment is not what you think.

Hey, Pete, mind if I rephrase your one-liner?

Enlightenment just is. What you think *about*
it is not what you think.

I'm more than open to the possibility of altered
states of consciousness that many people in the
past have experienced and described as "enlight-
enment." I have no problem with the altered
states having been real, for the people doing
the describing. It's just that I think that the
descriptions were fanciful imaginings based on
a combination of what they had been told about
"enlightenment" and the subjective effects of
the altered states themselves on the describers'
mental state and thinking processes.

What I suspect is that they were having real
subjective experiences, experiences that don't
quite "map" to everyday reality as most people
experience it. But then they try to describe
these altered states and fail, relying on either
old descriptions from the past of what the
altered states "mean," or equally invalid new
descriptions, based on solipsism.

In other words, the experiences are real, if
only in a subjective sense. But anything that
the person says *about* the experiences and
what they "mean" is bullshit.

I'm not just being contrary or argumentative
here. This is actually what I believe. Today,
anyway. :-)