--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavisma...@...>
wrote:

> Billy, to me one of the most powerful images in the Hindu tradition re
> the idea of the Divine is Ma Kali.  All the elements that make up that
> image combine to portray the wonderful and terrifying profligacy of
> "Mother" nature.

I think the image has to do with contrasting nature and spirit. Mother
Nature or Prakriti proclaims that we all live and die many, many
times. Change is the essential component of Mother Nature, only Spirit
is eternal, never changing and secure.

> Reproduction in reckless abandon and the casual extermination of all
> that is born is expressed and encompassed in Kali's form.  I don't
> remember Maharishi ever talking about Ma Kali, but I'd be interested
> in your sense and feelings re that form.

In the Gita Krishna exhorts Arjuna to "stay away from my fearful world
of changefullness", I think this is the context of Kali. Embrace and
identify with the image of God within us and we loosen the grip of
Maya (nature).

> I'm more of a living in the world sort of guy, but I understand and
> appreciate the more monastic ideal that I believe you are living to
> one degree or another, and I'd like to hear more from you on the
> subject.

The ideal is to live according to God's will, as his servant,
realizing our total dependence upon him, this is wisdom, IMHO.