On Feb 14, 2009, at 1:06 PM, TurquoiseB wrote:

> I'm trying to "pin down" what the thinking is that
> leads people to do this -- announce their enlight-
> enment and then act as if the Big E gives them a
> Karmic Get Out Of Jail Free card, and that they no
> longer have any responsibility for their actions
> from that point onwards.

 From both a Buddhist/Abhidharma perspective and an Advaita Vedanta
perspective it appears to be a confusion and/or failure to
experientially grok the Two Truths, the relative and the absolute.
It's quite common IME to see claimants of E. "fall into extremes",
i.e. become absolutists or nihilists. It is often what makes it clear
they're holding a false view (of reality).

It's like having a booger on your face and bragging about how good
looking you are.