--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2009, at 1:06 PM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to "pin down" what the thinking is that
> > leads people to do this -- announce their enlight-
> > enment and then act as if the Big E gives them a
> > Karmic Get Out Of Jail Free card, and that they no
> > longer have any responsibility for their actions
> > from that point onwards.
>
> From both a Buddhist/Abhidharma perspective and an Advaita
> Vedanta perspective it appears to be a confusion and/or failure
> to experientially grok the Two Truths, the relative and the
> absolute.

This is my opinion as well. Well said.

The "failure to take responsibility" is often
based, IMO, on an actual *disdain* for the
relative. It isn't real. It's Maya. Who the
fuck *cares* about these figments of the imag-
ination we encounter in the world that they
laughingly call "real?"

That is the larger point I was hoping to get
into with Dawn, but she bailed. This distinction
between the Two Truths.

IMO (and O is all that it is), when one has
become so enamored of a philosophy as to believe
the dogma of that philosophy over one's everyday
experience, and over common sense, a boundary
may have been crossed.

What else could one call the belief that the
world around us, the relative world we interact
with daily and touch and feel and around whose
events we plan our lives, is "not real?"

And yet, that is the core belief driving many of
the people who post to this group, as far as I can
tell. It all goes back to the distinction between
hierarchical and relational thinking I rapped about
last week. If one believes that the description of
the relative world as Maya, as "illusion," is
"higher" or "more true" than the description of
that world as real, then one has effectively written
the relative world and its cares and responsibilities
out of the equation.

At the "lowest level" of one's belief system, those
who believe this have bought into the belief that
the relative world is on a "lower" plane. After all,
it doesn't really exist. And we know this because
the POV that our teacher told us was "highest" says
that it doesn't really exist. Therefore, how much
credence should we pay to its puny "rules and
regulations?" All these other beings out there don't
really exist. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke and
realize that they don't exist, and only we do.