> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > But even if he had said It has "'raged on' 'in AMT' for a while, I
> > dont see that that connates either currently or continuously.
>
> "Has raged on AMT for a while" does indeed
> suggest that it's ongoing there.

It may suggest that, but also suggests other interpreations. To figure
out which interpreation Vaj intended, one needs to use context, and be
clear about their own possible "biases" or at least presumptions about
Vaj.

> But in any case, the real issue is *what* has
> been raging there, now or in the past, as I
> pointed out in my previous post.  If Vaj meant
> there have been raging debates in the past on
> alt.m.t concerning the Jyotir Math Shankaracharya
> succession, he's quite right, and I take back my
> correction.  If he was referring to the current
> "pissing contest" on FFL, as he appeared to be in
> context, concerning what Anoop Chandola reported
> about  Shantananda's view of MMY, then he's
> mistaken.

"What vaj meant" I think highlights to the larger point of this
discussion between us (my post, your prior comment on my post).

Whenever indirect reference are use, e.g., "he", "it, "this" "that"
etc, there can be multiple possible meanings, depending what is
assumed the "this" is referring too. Often one can define a single
statement as both true and false, depending on how one interprests
the indirect references. It depends on context, and ones assumptions
about the speaker. I take Vaj at face value, not that I agree with all
he says. So when he said "THIS has been raging on AMT"  my mind
quickly found  a contenxt by which this statment was true. I had seen
debates about the JM Shank linnage "raging" or being discussed at
least on AMT on several occasions over the years.

Its clear at least one meaning came to your mind for "THAT", that is,
"[current] pissing constest." In looking at the Ooiginal post upon
which you [Judy] commented (se below), its hard to believe that you
did not also see the possibility that "THAT" referred to the larger
issue of JM shank linneage.

If you did not see that interpreation [JM shank ...], it says
something to me about the breadth of your view. If you did see that,
and saw that this interpretation made Vaj's statment correct, but
choose to focus on a more limited interpreation of Vaj's "that"
[pissing contest], then that tells me about your possible biases. Why
would one choose an interpreation that made the speaker appear to be
speaking falsely, if there was also another major / obvious
interpretation that made his statement true.

In either case, whether you saw both interpretations for not, my
original point still holds: I now have a clearer understanding of your
style, and a broader context from which to evaluate your comments
about other's veracity.

[And by the way, my characterization of your comments about Unc as
"ranting" was indeed a bit strong (though I think acceptable in the
loose  conversationa use of the word). I apologize for the
characterization and its possible more formal interpretation.]

Original post upon which Judy commented.