--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:
> Maybe the Biblical God of the Old Testament is pro slavery and pro rape. I
> wouldn't know.

Just read what is in the book, it isn't a very subtle point and is often
repeated as well as his fondness for mass murders.

< But IMO the wrathful God argument you made is a red herring you tossed my way
to argue against my point.>

Not a red herring, I was giving counter evidence to your claim that the 10
commandments covered rape within them.  This interpretation is directly
contradicted by the actions of their so-called auther.

<I answered Sal within the narrow frame she presented. The Commandments, just
taken at face value, prohibit violating the rights of others.>

Ignoring the more complete context of the rest of the Bible is not a valid way
to look at it IMO.  Otherwise why spell out 10, just say "be nice."  But there
is a context of these commandments in the rest of the actions of this version
of god that makes it very clear, he is not anti slavery or rape, he promotes it
when convenient.  (As well as God setting a bear upon 42 children just for
teasing a prophet (2 Kings 2:23-24

 Jesus summarized the Commandments in the Golden Rule:

> "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye
> even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets." Matthew 7:12, King
> James Version.
>
> "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise."
> Luke 6:31, King James Version.
>
> "...and don't do what you hate...", Gospel of Thomas 6. The Gospel of Thomas
> is one of about 40 gospels that were widely accepted among early Christians,
> but which never made it into the Christian Scriptures

I am not a fan of the Golden rule as a guide for ethics either, it is too
self-centered.  If I do to a Muslim what I would do for myself I would cut off
a nice hunk of the smoked pork shoulder I slow cooked for hours yesterday, put
it on a bun with some fresh cole slaw and offend every religious bone in his
body.  What it should be is "Do unto others as they want you to do to them,
with a bit of cultural sensitivity to the fact that everyone is NOT like you!"