TurquoiseB wrote:
> * The siddhis, straight out of Patanjali (who was...
> Duh...a writer within a religious tradition)...

Patanjali, the author of the Yoga Sutras, said next
to nothing about 'religion' - there was no 'Hinduism'
at that time (cica 200 BC). From what I've read,
there was 'Brahmanism', 'animism', and the atheist
sects, Charvaka, etc. But I've seen no evidence that
Patanjali was a teacher in a 'religious tradition'.
If he was, he would have said so...duh!

Shakya the Muni defined 'enlightenment' as the
dispelling of the illusion of the individual soul-monad.
Patanjali pretty much agrees with this; Patanjali
taught *isolation* of the Purusha from the prakriti
by yogic means. Nor, according to Eliade, should you
confuse 'shamanism' or 'religion' with the Yoga
Tradition of South Asia.

"Confusion arises from erroneously identifying words,
objects, and ideas with one another; knowledge of
the cries of all creatures comes through perfect
discipline of the distinctions between them" (Yoga
Sutra 3.17).

Read more:

Author: Willytex
Subject: Nescience