--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> below
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung no_reply@ wrote:

> mantra. Its
> that the choice
> to do while
> do WHILE thinking the mantra, but this  also is a trap.
> > >
> > > Spare Egg,
> > >
> > > I believe you've just told us that you are not practicing TM.
> Hoping the mantra "sorta" continues while one is "halfway" putting the
> attention on other mental processes is not following the instructions.
> One must "innocently favor the mantra."
> > >

> > Did I say something about "hoping?"
>
> Fuck, I knew when I typed that word that you'd come back at me like that
> cheap shot.  My bad, your worse.  You plainly stated that you have been
> comfortable with meditations in which "you divided the mind" by trying
> to be God with the ability to attend to two processes at once.

Er, trying to be with God?

That's
> not TM, and, in fact, you're encouraging a delusion since it is
> impossible to attend to two things at once and that one is actually
> flitting back and forth between the two processes.  It may be an adroit
> finessing of the use of attention, but it ain't TM, bub.

Really? Could have fooled me I guess.

> > > But, yes, while the mantra is attended, other processes by the
> millions are happening too, and any of them could become an object of
> attention, and many of them will convincingly be "better fruit that
> beguiles the monkey-mind to jump off of the mantra branch." Thus the
> instruction to favor the mantra.

Establishing a preference for your attention is not effort. By its very nature
you've declared teh mantra more worth thinking than not. You could just
as easily come to the same result by decloaring the mantra LESS worth
thinking, but to the same minimalist degree.

This is effort -- this is a
> philosophical/intellectual PROCESS (work being done) of coming to a
> conclusion.  The conclusion is: I'll decide to favor the mantra -- not
> all these other tempting processes.
> > >
> > > Edg
> > >

> > And no effort involved in favoring something over something else,
> unless
> >  you insist that mere discrimination by definition, is effort.
> >
> > In which case the monkey mind never is without effort and you've just
> > changed MMY's entire analysis of TM and how it works.
>
> Bingo!  Spare Egg gets it!  The whole field of Being is an effortful
> processing.  Amness is a buzzingness.  Descrimination is effort.  Very
> little effort, I grant you, but effort is effort is effort.  I think
> Maharishi understood this nuance -- if the quotes we've read from him
> recently here are true quotes, he knew some effort is required to
> maintain the illusion of effortlessness.

Nyah. He was merely trying to articulate that which is better left unsaid.

L.