Comment inserted below...

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:FairfieldLife%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rick Archer" wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I haven't been following this thread, and Vaj has
> > > probably quoted this, but on my TTC (Estes Park,
> > > 1970) I clearly remember Maharishi quoting the Vedas
> > > as saying, "Be easy to us with gentle effort."
> >
> [I wrote:]
> > Which (as I've pointed out before) is virtually
> > meaningless without context (both of the quote
> > itself and how MMY was using it).
> >
> > To claim that this quote in and of itself, without
> > those contexts, constitutes an "admission" by MMY
> > that TM involves effort is just off the wall.
> >
> [Rick wrote:]
> > The context was that MMY was saying that TM does involve
> > a sort of effort, but that it is such a gentle effort
> > that we don't use the term effort. Thought is effortless
> > once it starts flowing, but if we're thinking about
> > one thing and need to be thinking about another, (e.g.,
> > we're looking out the window and we should be listening
> > to the lecture), some will is involved in shifting the
> > attention back. We all know the analogy of the attention
> > spontaneously shifting to the more pleasing melody, but
> > it doesn't always work that way. The mind may prefer
> > daydreaming to coming back to the mantra, but
> > nonetheless, we apply gentle effort, an act of will, to
> > come back to the mantra.
>
> This appears, then, to be a matter of "exception
> handling," when we're aware we aren't attending to the
> mantra but don't want to go back to it.
>
> You say, "If we're thinking about one thing and need
> to be thinking about another...some will is involved
> in shifting the attention back."
>
> But you left out a step: first we have to become aware
> that we're not thinking about what we "should" be
> thinking about. For that to happen, the previous
> train of thought has to come to an end for long enough
> for that recognition to arise. You can't have two
> different thoughts at the same time.

Judy, about this statement that one
cannot have two different thoughts
simultaneously: Have you never had
thoughts and mantra together? Or
thoughts and sutras? Or, outside of
meditation, thoughts of one thing
while looking at another?

It's an accepted part of TM practice
that we have multiple thoughts all the time.
There's an instruction for that situation
in the checking notes. But TM teaching
aside, it's a common experience, is it not?

If you change your mind about that point,
would it make a difference in what you wrote below?