Richard,

I am NOT going to reply the way Judy would
and try to vilify you for expressing your
opinion. Instead, I am going to "piggyback"
on your expressed opinion and offer mine.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard M" <compost...@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Basically, the way I see it, all these TBs
> > > are melting down for two reasons. The first
> > > is because we're talking about sex as if it
> > > were normal to have sex. Many of these people
> > > are so uptight that they don't believe that.
> > > But the second reason is that we are talking
> > > about Maharishi the way we would talk about
> > > any other man on the planet, as if he weren't
> > > in any way "special." We're cutting him no
> > > special breaks for being "holy."
> > >
> > > AND THAT MAKES THEM CRAZY.
> >
> > Uh, no, doesn't make me crazy, sorry. What *annoys*
> > me is the lengths you and other TM critics will go
> > to in order to find some excuse, no matter how
> > ridiculous and far-fetched, to dump on him. Goodness
> > knows he had plenty of very human faults; there's
> > really no need to make any more up except as a way
> > of venting one's spleen yet again.
> >
> > The fault you're making up here isn't homosexuality;
> > that wouldn't be a fault. What you're doing is making
> > up his purported homosexuality in order to make up the
> > fault of hypocrisy, given his homophobic views. Those
> > views themselves were bad enough.
>
> Quite so Judy.
>
> Barry's "hypothesis" is that the heat generated in this topic is
> caused by the view that MMY was not "just a man". You're
> demonstrating the falsity of that I'd say.

I would say instead that the "heat" WITH
WHICH she responds and the WAY she responds
rather confirms my theory.

The bottom line of my thesis (which I will
address in some length below, where approp-
riate), is that you and Judy seem to see
nothing either questionable or wrong with
getting your buttons pushed and "retaliating."

My thesis is that such "retaliation," and the
seemingly compulsive need to indulge in it,
reveals a great deal more about the "retaliator"
than it does the person being "retaliated"
against.

> I would say too that the charge of hypocrisy is rather glib
> (as is the whole topic IMO).

I should point out, just for the record, that
I have not made that "charge" in any of the
posts in these threads. That's Curtis' schtick,
not mine.

I have been merely looking at the phenomenon
of guru-bhakti from a different angle, without
trying to "color" it in the ways that spiritual
traditions color it. I think that to do so is
instructive and valuable. YMMV.

I am NOT, in any of these intellectual explor-
ations, trying to suggest that my alternative
view of guru-bhakti is the ONLY way to see the
phenomenon, or the "right" way to see the
phenomenon, merely a different way. I present
it only as a different way of looking at the
phenomenon. I have done so *consistently* in
my contributions to the thread.

And yet many here have responded by "getting
their buttons pushed" and feeling a need to
"retaliate."

My contention is that these people are "idea-
phobic" in the exact same way that some men
are homophobic. Their first reaction when they
hear a way of looking at the phenomenon of
guru-bhakti that disagrees with the way they
see it is to 1) get their emotional buttons
pushed, and 2) "retaliate."

I'm sorry, but I'm Buddhist enough to believe
that anyone who reacts to a mere idea by not
only allowing that idea to push their emotional
buttons but allowing the idea to push them so
strongly that they feel the need to "retaliate"
is pretty lost in Maya.

> It is NOT in itself hypocritical to
> have homosexual "tendencies" and also to express the view that
> homosexuality is a "sin".

I would agree with this. I consider the current
Pope a closet homosexual, or at the very least
a man with *strong* homosexual tendencies him-
self. However, his belief system (and, from
stories we hear about him, his level of fanaticism)
is probably so strong that he would never ACT on
those tendencies himself. Therefore, if he were
to use his office to condemn homosexuality as a
sin, I would not see that as inherently hypocritical.

However, if that same Pope had, say, an emotional
connection with a male saint, one that periodically
reduced him to blubbering about him or becoming so
emotionally out of control when talking about him
that the *intensity* of his relationship with this
male saint and its possible deeper nature became
apparent, and *then* decried similar emotional
behavior between two "men on the street," I might
consider that a little hypocritical.

My contention is that men in cloistered guru-
bhakti traditions often act in ways that would be
considered in *any other environment* gayer than
Liberace. They *weep* for the gurus they adore;
they compose syrupy songs and poems about them;
they treat them (and even refer to them) as their
"masters."

So what do you think is the *difference* that makes
the expression of such emotional over-the-topness
mere gay behavior when practiced by two "men on
the street," but that somehow changes this SAME
emotional over-the-topness into something else,
something "loftier" or more "spiritual" when done
in an ashram or a monastery or the Vatican?

I'm just curious. Really. I don't see any difference.

Then again, I'm Tantric. I think that two gay men
expressing their deep and spiritual love for each
other are IN NO WAY lesser or less spiritual than
a student expressing bhaktied-out love for his
guru or teacher. I see both as exactly the same
phenomenon, colored by different ways of inter-
preting the phenomenon depending on context.

> It might be hypocrisy though to express
> that view and actually indulge those tendencies (though from
> a Christian view of "sin", it may not be as simple as that).
>
> You say "What *annoys* me is the lengths you and other TM
> critics will go to in order to find some excuse, no matter
> how ridiculous and far-fetched, to dump on him". I think
> you make a valid point.

But she makes the point BASED ON A FALSE
ASSUMPTION. That is, that someone expressing
an idea about Maharishi that is contrary to
the TMO's dogma about him or her view of him
is de facto "dumping on him."

That is FUNDAMENTALISM. The overreaction
to it, in the form of getting your buttons
pushed by the idea and feeling the need to
"retaliate," is just that, an overreaction.
The *perception* that someone who expresses
an idea that you don't like about Maharishi
is "dumping on him" is FALLACIOUS. It
assumes that the way YOU like to see
Maharishi is somehow the "truth," or the
"correct" way of seeing him.

There is no "correct" way of seeing him. My
"sin" in these threads has been only to see
him a different way than the TMO would like
me to see him. That is NOT the same thing as
"dumping on him."

> Is the topic an exercise in curiosity? In friendly discussion?
> An attempt to get at the truth of something? Humour? Or is it
> purely to "push buttons"?
>
> Well that's a judgement call - who knows *The Truth* (as Barry
> might say). We have our opinion that's all.

That's right.

> If we intuit the latter - that it is just provocation with
> perhaps a lack of "sincerity" - then annoyance is absolutely
> "appropriate".

Here is where we disagree, and disagree strongly.
This is where you start to build up to your view
that "retaliation" is somehow JUSTIFIED when
you or someone else gets their emotional buttons
pushed as the result of hearing an idea that
they don't like.

You state above that such "annoyance" and (below)
feeling a need to "retaliate" is "absolutely
appropriate."

I disagree. I think that it's an indication of
intellectual and emotional rigidity, and a kind
of spiritual fascism that compels one to lash
out at the people who hold ideas you don't like.

> It's as if someone were to walk naked into a posh golf club dinner.
> "Oh my, see how these middle class, butt-clenched, up-tight folks
> REACT to my freedom of expression. They are so sexually repressed
> that they can't hack it. Ha! Ha!"
>
> Well, no. That's just juvenile. The negative reaction is to the
> INTENT to provoke.

To the *perceived* intent to provoke.

> To the hostility behind the action...

To the *perceived* hostility behind the action.
There may have been none.

What you are accepting as a given and
"appropriate" is the "negative reaction."
You are trying to JUSTIFY the fact that
you or Judy got your emotional buttons
pushed and *excuse* it.

I'm sorry, but I call that making excuses.

> ...not to the
> action itself. (They may be middle class, butt-clenched, up-tight
> folks notwithstanding).
>
> "Pushing buttons"? To my mind that's just bad manners. Why not
> retaliate?

HERE is where we disagree the most strongly.
You are justifying "retaliation" because YOU
(or Judy) got your buttons pushed.

THAT is juvenile.

THAT is what starts wars.

You are attempting to justify emotional weakness
and lack of control.

> But it is, as I say, something you "judge" - that is to say the
> intention behind the action. I don't judge the same as you on
> a lot of Barry's posts I suppose.

I am thankful for that. Then again, I don't think
it's POSSIBLE for anyone to judge my posts as
consistently negatively as Judy does.  :-)

> So, let's see, how do I finish off? "Just my opinion of course".

And, as such, I cannot argue with it. You were
not presenting your opinion as "truth," merely
opinion, a set of ideas.

I agree with some of those ideas. I have, in
this post, expressed my concerns about other
of those ideas, primarily your contention that
feeling the need to "retaliate" because your
own (or Judy's own) emotional buttons got
pushed is "acceptable" or "appropriate."

I think that's an excuse for bad behavior that
is far less appropriate -- especially in a
spiritual context -- than your example of the
guy walking into the golf club naked.

He's only swinging his dick. Those who justify
"retaliating" because they got their buttons
pushed are swinging a club.