--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, satvadude108 <no_re...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > I am making the points that 1. doing business of merit in
> > a coffee shop is going to be a rare event, 2. given a lot
> > of foot traffic it is certain that "the weak ones" will be
> > a significant portion of that traffic, 3. and that predators
> > can be found in sheep's clothing.
>
> You have moved into a mind-state that
> is more than just a little creepy Edg.

Ignoring the obvious ( the "creepy" thing :-),
I have to speak up for those of us who not only
work in public places from time to time, but who
do so productively.

I often take my laptop across the street and work
in the cafe there, or sitting at a cafe table on
the street. Yes, there are *potential* distractions;
but no, in reality they never bother me. I get just
as much work done sitting in a cafe as sitting at
home. My employer knows my work habits and has no
problem with them because I am testably about twice
as productive as any of the tech writers I work with.
( But they're French, so they may need more cigarette
or coffee breaks than I do...a French person seems
incapable of multitasking, and when doing either of
those things seems to need to do *only* that. :-)

I've always been able to write -- be it for work or
for pleasure, such as posts to FFL -- at cafes and
in bars. I've always considered my ability to do
this an aspect of having practiced meditation and
mindfulness for so many years. When I need to focus,
I can, no matter where I am and what the environment
I am sitting in is like.

I have noticed that others are not like this. They
*need* "peace and quiet" before they can work, or
focus. One wonders if they feel the same need when
they meditate. I don't, so I take advantage of this
and can "vary my workplace."

The suggestion that the only reason people work in
public places like Starbucks is a sense of predation
and "stalking" women is so ridiculous that one does
not really have to deal with it. It's pure projection.
That's the only reason *he* can conceive of working
in public, so that's the reason he believes others
do it. T'ain't true. Some of us do it because it's
more fun, and the cafes make better coffee than we
do at home. ( I'm still waiting for the cost of
espresso machines to come down to where it should
be...there is no reason they shouldn't cost $20,
not $200. The "price point" on these machines is
ridiculously high, and set to take advantage of
fad thinking. )