--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcg...@...> wrote:

> I'm for gay marriage, polygamous marriage, gay polygamous marriage,
> bestiality marriage, and incest marriage in equal measure.
>
> Aren't you?

This is the "box turtle argument."

"Interpreting the statement literally: it is clear that legally recognizing gay
marriage does not entail doing so for polygamy, incestuous marriage, or
marrying animals; these are all separate propositions. The legal determination
of what a marriage is can be specified so as to allow gay marriage but not
extend to marrying a box turtle. In the same way that certain states have
provisions in their constitutions defining marriage as "between a man and a
woman," it could also be specified that marriage rights extend to same-sex
couples but — if one is really so worried about people marrying box turtles and
the rest — not to (1) more than two people; those who are (2) blood related;
and (3) animals.

The "box turtle" statement above is really making the case against gay marriage
by not making the case: It is not telling you what is wrong with gay marriage,
but rather saying that if you allow gay marriage then you will have to allow
something else you might not like."

Read more...
http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2009/01/29/8452
http://tinyurl.com/brsdvm