--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@...> wrote:

> shemp, one thing I don't understand...
> OK, we all get that you don't think GW
> is a reality (or at least that's what you
> keep implying, ad nauseum).  But why
> is it so important to you that others,
> particularly others here, agree with you?
> If you're secure in your own knowledge,
> and that's good enough for you, why do
> you constantly seem to need a group
> consensus and validation of your opinion?
>
> I am really interested in knowing, because
> to me, at least, the constant attempts
> at validation and trying to prove others
> "wrong" are somewhat fascinating.

Sal, while what you say above about Shemp
is true, IMO it is *also* true about many
other posters here. They "rerun" the same
old arguments more often than a revival
theater reruns "Casablanca."  :-)

It's almost as if Fairfield Life was for
them a permutation of Maharishi's "Every
question is a perfect opportunity for the
answer we have already prepared" bullshit.
Their version is "Every post is a perfect
opportunity for me to rerun my favorite
attachment/argument, and suck someone
else into it."

You may find it fascinating; I'm finding
it boring after all these years.

So my new "mindfulness posting" approach
is to:

1. Don't bother to respond to anyone who
has a proven track record of doing this,
and who seems to be doing it again. ( In
many cases this can be extended to "Don't
bother to read their posts, because they
have established a track record of never
writing anything worth reading." )

2. Try not to do the same thing myself, by
qualifying the things I say as pure opinion,
not some claim of "truth" or "knowledge."
( This is more difficult because those who
*do* claim that the things they believe are
worth arguing about assume that everyone
else is as limited as they are and believes
the same thing. They're so stuck in that
"gotta prove my self right" mindset that
they can't see any other possibility. )

3. Don't bother to say anything unless it
a) needs to be said, b) is fun to rap about,
c) is neat enough to share, or d) is funny.
Those strike me as valid reasons for posting
something. ( Arguing with someone about some-
thing their self believes in just because
they know that self will die soon and they're
terrified of losing it *doesn't* strike me
as a valid reason for posting. )

As with my previous "posting experiments" I'll
probably get bored with this one after a very
short while, but for now it's fun. And it cer-
tainly cuts down on the time I waste on FFL.
Not bothering to read more than the first two
lines of anything posted by the Narcissicism
Quints *alone* cuts my FFL reading time in half.  :-)