> [Although, FWIW, I would not at all be surprised if Hagelin bailed one of
> these days. Of the three (Hagelin, Morris, Ram), I think he is the  only one
> with the strength to do so and definitely the only one with any chance of
> making it in the real world.  Given the culture Ram comes from, if he
> prostrates himself again and again and again....(something he should  be used
> to by now) before his family and if they have money, he would be covered, I
> guess.]

Hagelin is an interesting case. I think there is some part of him which is
dimly aware that he's spouting junk. All that time with proper scientists and
having to do hard calculations must have left an impression somewhere. He's the
one who has to work hardest to keep himself convinced of what he's saying
because he does have the intelligence and the training to work out that it's
garbage. The others, Bevan and Tony, don't have the intellect to appreciate
fine points of reason and logic.

Hagelin keeps himself convinced by making lots of speeches to people who know
little or nothing about science and getting plenty of adulation from the
credulous. "All these people think I'm wonderful therefore I must be right" is
the rather distorted reasoning going on there. If he withdrew from the adoring
crowds and sat down with a pencil and paper to work things out he might start
having doubts

Of the other characters, Tony is quite a mild mannered person, even if he
doesn't have the training and natural aptitude to spot that his ideas are
garbage, he does at least have the temperament to stop the wilder nutjobs at
Vlodrop getting too far out of sync with reality. Seeing as he wears a crown
and issues "decrees" that's a relative thing only by comparison with people
like Schiffgens, Konhaus and  Morris who really are out of it.