--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "nelsonriddle2001" <nelsonriddle2...@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:
> >
> > This goes to my earlier question. Is it reasonable to ask: Was my niece
> > asking for it? Was she provoking it? The blame always seems to be on the
> > woman. "Choose a better partner." "Shut up and don't talk back." "What did
> > you do to piss him off?"  Geez, why is it so difficult to say misogyny is
> > wrong and men are the perpetrators of violence against women instead of
> > blaming the women?
> >
>   Seems there are many factors leading up to the present  levels of profound
> ignorance we see.
>    From a creationist point of view it should be noted that the women were
> the final outstanding work and, should be treated as such.
>    From the evolutionary point of view it should be noted that without the
> women, humanity would cease to exist after one generation.
>    I guess it must be an older pov,maybe chauvinist?,that women should be
> protected and cared for.
>     The present state of affairs is indeed sad.

Protection is not a chauvinist concept. It's what loving families and and
societies do for each other. Overprotection of a woman in some societies is a
problem if it stifles a woman's sense of freedom. On the other hand, violence
against women increases when the chaos of warw leave women unprotected. The
usual protections of family and society for women do not exist in war.

My niece didn't have the protection of family in her relationship with her
boyfriend. My brother and her mother had drug problems and divorced. They
didn't structure a safe, self-affirming environment for her that would have
given her a foundation for a loving relationship. In her boyfriend's Muslim
culture, she is considered his property to do with as he pleases, and he did.
When family cannot protect a woman from violence she has to rely on the
protections of society otherwise an abusive boyfriend would not be in jail.

Women still deal with sexism and misogyny in our country. We rely of the good
conscience of men and women to recognize demeaning behavior, in words and deeds
toward women and speak out against it. If it's common place to insult women, it
becomes common place to turn a blind eye to violence. Thank you, Nelson, for
thinking about this.