My first reaction to the fascinating post below is that ever since the advent
of all the "extras" that the TMO sells and emphasizes these days --
schtapatyaveda, ayurveda, yagyas, sidhis, etc. etc. -- has, simply, watered
down the core message of TM.  Not only are people NOT starting TM in droves
they way they did in the '70s but those that do start, such as the students
described here, don't put much priority on it BECAUSE THE TMO DOESN'T EITHER.
I mean, how can they when the message is watered down with all this other
stuff.  You can't say out of one side of your mouth that capturing the fort
with 20 minutes of TM is all you need to have access to the goldmines that are
in control of the fort and then, out of the other side of your mouth, sell and
promote all those goldmines as "extras".  Something's gotta give, and in this
case it's TM.