On Oct 12, 2009, at 8:07 PM, yifuxero wrote:

The bottom line is that we can (a) transcend changes, or (b) make changes.
The evidence for the "making changes" part simply isn't there!
I therefore agree with the other contributor. The connections are tenuous. There could actually be a negative payoff, in certain circumstances; although by no means approaching the levels suggested by Vaj.
Usually, people just quit since they haven't seen any results.

I would beg to differ--I'd actually propose mental worship and/or meditation on an ishta-devata (e.g simple mental mantra recitation) can bring and is believed to bring relative benefits. YMMV. The question is: when someone isn't aware that the relative benefit is essentially a "boon" from a inner goddess radiating her effects via your nervous system onto your connection with the outer world; when that inner level of intention is missing through deception, does it work or does it work as well (as if you knew you were reciting, say, a mantra to the goddess of wisdom and inspired speech)? Or can the deception block that relative effect?

IME teachers who simply ask their students "what are you looking for, or what do you want in life" and then give a mantra for that benefit, at least the student has some involvement at the level of intention. They are aligned with the benefit. If the student is left in the dark, that specific intention is left as an ambiguity.