> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5" <dhamiltony2k5@> wrote:
> >
> > If history has anything to say,
>
> If history had anything to say, it wouldn't keep
> repeating itself.  :-)
>
> > > what I think you're "feeling" in
> > > revering Shakerisms is the same thing you try to
> > > promote here on FFL, Doug -- a sense of "community."
> >
> > Not revering, just observing.  Just proactive interest.
> >
> > Not just Shakerisms.
> > Not revering but steeping some little in 18th and 19th
> > Century American spiritual movements and their European
> > and Eastern roots.
>
> With all due respect, I think we can safely say
> that any "Eastern roots" you see in early American
> spiritual traditions were projected there. No such
> influence would have been possible or tolerated.
>
> > Is a lot of descriptive material available and some that
> > is proscriptive, that can be learned from about life of
> > spiritual movements.  The proscriptive insights they give
> > in their own voice can be a useful perspective to how it
> > is going for Transcendental Meditation.
>
> That is true. And I think that as much can be learned
> from the failures of previous spiritual movements as
> can be learned from their successes. For example, if
> a community such as Shakerism felt that they had "The
> Answer" to a happy life but died out within a century,
> there is something to be learned from that. If the
> reclusive, divorce-ourselves-from-the-outside-world
> communities tended to fade out and disappear (as they
> did), that might in fact bode badly for the TMO.
>
> Clearly, I enjoy tripping on past spiritual movements
> as well. I am quite taken with the Cathars and their
> lifestyle, even though their dualist philosophy is
> 180 degrees opposed to my own. I think one can learn
> some valuable lessons from how they lived, and what
> happened to them as a result of living that way.
>
> The same is obviously true about early American com-
> munities. America's whole *myth* revolves around the
> idea of religious freedom -- a place where you can
> go and really *act out* your beliefs, no matter how
> oddball and non-mainstream they are. That was not
> permitted in Europe, so many came to America hoping
> to create communities that reflected their beliefs.
> I guess my only point in jumping in to your posts
> about the Shakers is that if you're going to "learn
> from history," one of the lessons you shouldn't
> ignore is whether the spiritual community you're
> studying is still around. If it isn't -- for what-
> ever reason -- there is probably as much to be
> learned from *that* history as there is from a
> study of what they believed.
>
> If the TM movement is still around in a hundred years,
> historians will be interested in what they believed.
> If it isn't, they will be interested more in why what
> they believed didn't work.

Yes,
Thanks.

How it went for the longer lived spiritual practice type of movements, the
Transcendentalists, the old Society of Friends, Amana Colonists, Icarians,
Shakers, primitivists, universalists.   They did a lot of letter-writing,
journalizing, diaries, published essays, pamphlet and book writing.  From the
transcendental spirituality that runs through it comes a lot to look at for
perspective.

With an elderly Maharishi in decline over in the past many years, I have looked
to and sat with for perspective the particular transition periods between
spiritual founders, their founding generation and then next generation to see
how it went for them.

Is a lot of descriptive material available and some which is proscriptive that
can be learned from about spiritual movement life-cycle.  Transcendental
Meditation and the TM-movement evidently is not unique.  The TM story is on
track and in the middle of something that has gone before, as it goes.

Best Regards from FF,
-Doug