--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "fflmod" <ffl...@...> wrote:

> What's your point...that expanding medicare to middle-aged citizens is not a
> high expense for the federal government simply because, in the words of the
> article, "Revenue comes from a surtax on the wealthy"? Simply raise taxes?

Well, when you consider that Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy are due to Sunset
in 2011 and that the Democrats have the power to raise the cap on Social
Security from $90K to a lot more and the power to roll back the tax to
pre-Reagan, yep, there could be plenty of money for Medicare, Social Security
and a Single Payer health care system.

Other than kowtowing to the insurance industry and the wealthy 1 or 2 percent
who want a bill that amounts to a mandated feeding trough for the insurance
industry, there is no reason why Congress needs to pass a bill that torpedoes
employee group plans so that we lose our leverage to negotiate decent plans,
that squeezes an excise tax out of the middle class for their crappy bill and
taxes on Cadillac Plans for which unions sacrificed their wages. The health
care bill is monumentally complicated with a whole lot of sneaky stuff in it
that's going to bite you in the ass. Keep it simple and people will support it.