> Sounds to me as if he's committed to "I've got
> mine, fuck the rest of you."

That's what it sounds like to me.

> True Believers will find a way to believe no
> matter what. Deep inside, there is a little voice
> that says to them, "If I doubt now, that's like
> saying that I was stupid and wasted my life. Can't
> have that. I'll hang in there with the Kingster
> and wish his 3-1/2-year-old luck in "school." :-)

That's the rough part, and where I have to feel some compassion.  This
is more than a little chink in the armour, as I see it.  I mean maybe
they can pull off major denial, but it's a pretty big disconnect to
swallow.

  > The TB phenomenon is a strange one. As Bhairitu
> has previously reported, another instance of it
> can be seen in the *terrible* film "The Book Of
> Eli," which I watched last night. In a post-
> apocalyptic world, the whole premise of the movie
> (which one wag called "Road Warrior meets Zatoichi")
> is that if Denzel Washington manages to save one
> copy of The Bible, that'll make everything all
> better again. All I can say is that I hope that
> Denzel got paid a shitload of cash to be in this
> Christianist turkey.  Thanks for heads up.  This was on my list.  I
have to give it a second thought.

> As for Da King, if this whole thing *does* blow up
> and he has to abdicate his imaginary throne and
> leave his imaginary kingdom in the hands of Bevan,
> the bottom line for him is still "I've got mine."
> He'll still have the condo in Paris and the wife
> and the kids.  Maybe he still has his weight in gold.  Maybe that is
what is financing this whole thing. I mean, if gold is selling at
$1,100.oo/ounce, and he weighs, say 160 lbs.  Yowzer. The *only*
difference in his life
> would be that if wifey asks him to run down to the
> SuperU to pick up a liter of milk, he won't have
> to worry about someone seeing him without his
> robes and crown. That would be the *only* real
> change in his lifestyle.
>
> For the True Believers who *bought into* the well-
> cultivated perception of his lifestyle, BIG change.
> That's why they'll find a way to "stuff" this whole
> thing and never think about it again. To do other-
> wise would leave them having to challenge their own
> beliefs in not only Da King, but in the guy who
> told them over and over and over and over that Da
> King was the perfect incarnation of Brahman and
> Purusha and everything "right" with the world.
>
> The only real change I'd see in most of the movement
> is that when Da King issues a proclamation to his
> "subjects," some of them are going to laugh in his
> face instead of taking it seriously. But that is what I think could be
the thread that undoes this .   If he loses credibility, then you've got
a vaccum.  And then there's the money.  Always the money.  If that
starts to dry up, then the whole thing goes to pieces quick.  Which, if
you