--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Can't any of you see that Rick is the one who is wrong here? Not
> > for what he said or did that caused the anger (that's his
> > business) but because he dismissed his friend's anger by the old
> > copout "it's OK, I still love you?"
>
> Not really, no. His stance felt genuinely mature and loving to me. I
> don't see that he rejected anything other than his friend's
> rejection.

Well, but it isn't exactly Rick's to reject, is it?

I was about to agree with Sparaig, but then I went
back to find Rick's exact wording about what he said
to his friend:

"I told him he can think what he wants about me, but
he can't stop me from loving him."

That's not so bad.  It doesn't invalidate his friend's
anger, and it leaves the door open for reconciliation
if his friend is so inclined.

On the other hand, it sure doesn't convey any concern
for the fact that his friend is angry and hurt.  It's
all about Rick's feelings, not about those of his
friend.

And "You can't stop me from loving you" may well be a
statement of fact, but it also sounds like it could
be a putdown: See how much more mature and loving I
am than you are?

If that's *all* Rick said, I don't think he really
thought it through very well in terms of how his
friend might feel after reading it.