I have Comcast.  They sent out info a while back on how to program one
of the keys for 30 seconds forward and 15 back.  I can't find the
mailing but people have posted the info online:
http://www.pdxtc.com/wpblog/technology-articles/comcast-remote-30-second-skip-commercials-motorola-dct3412/

I use a Logitech remote instead and programmed the codes into it.