I have been musing at the prognostications about the outcome of the BP
oil spill and the damage control of their PR departments running full
steam.  To wholly dismiss some of the prognostications may be a bit
premature as I was reminded by the season finale of the HBO series
"Treme" (spoilers ahead for Treme fans that have not seen  that
episode).  Anyway as that episode recounts many New Orleans folks were
convinced the storm would swerve at the last moment leaving the
prognosticators of the worse case scenario wrong.   In this case the
prognosticators were right.

At the company I worked for in the 1990s I experienced close up a PR
department deflecting a news story which had broken even resulting in
CNN and other news media calling me about the story.  I was told to
refer all such inquiries to our PR department which I did.  Fielding
those calls was a guy who was a one time spin doctor in Washington, DC
for a senator.  At one point we trotted out the new VP of the
development division who was perfect for the job since he didn't really
know the situation that well.  The story in general was a tempest in a
teapot but as the CNN producer told me "it was a slow news day."

Likewise when you have catastrophes like the BP oil spill their PR
department will be getting paid to go into overdrive including posting
comments on blogs and forums to try to steer the public perception the
disaster.  The government itself will be trying to keep a lid on things
as they "don't want the public to panic."

So only time will tell what the outcome of this spill will be.