--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> authfriend wrote:
<snip>
> > So relax. If panic should become appropriate, I'll let you
> > know. Or come on over to The Oil Drum yourself and see what
> > the experts there are saying.
>
> Thanks Judy but as you probably suspect I'm not relying on
> you or FFL for information on the spill.

Boy, I *hope* you aren't relying on FFL for information
on the spill!

I'm suggesting you have a look at the discussions on The
Oil Drum.

> I get enough on it anyway.  I was just
> writing an "opinion piece" on how PR is handled in the
> corporate world.

No problem with your take on that. Just pointing out that
this is somewhat of a different situation from the usual.

> Yes, I've heard about what goes with the posts on the blogs
> too.  To turn this lemon into lemonade may well be finally
> waking up the public on how bad it is to allow corporations
> to grow too large and hence irresponsible.  In this day in
> age of "networked business" we no longer need large dinosaur
> corporations anymore.  They are just  someone or group's ego
> trip anyway.  Even the whole notion of a "growth economy" is
> now under scrutiny as being destruction.  For the most part
> we need a sustainable and sensible economy.

I have no problem with this either. What I'm objecting to
is your suggestion that the gummint is trying to hide dire
events from us. What I'm saying is that no matter how hard
it tries, it is unlikely to succeed because there are too
many experienced, knowledgeable people watching the
situation like hawks, and too much hard information
available they can use to form an accurate picture of
what's happening with the well and the geology around it.

Where we *lack* knowledge is in the area of the environmental
effects of the spilled oil on ocean plant and wildlife. But
even at its worst, that's unlikely to be a panic-type
situation--just very, very, VERY sad, and incredibly tough
on the folks who made their living from the Gulf.