--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

> [...]

He said explicitly that MMY was *brahmacharya*--including
at the time of the King interview--for all but a short
period.

And a claim to be a monk, FWIW, is not necessarily a claim
to be celibate. It virtually always means one doesn't have
a family (partner and children), however.

King asked if MMY had children as a delicate way of
asking if he was celibate, but MMY chose to interpret the
question literally, which he surely had a right to do.
Whether one is celibate is a rather personal question--
none of King's business--and MMY was under no obligation,
IMHO, to respond directly to what King's question had
only implied. (Although, if King had asked him, "Are you
celibate?" he could have honestly responded that he was.
Just not if King had asked him, "Have you always been
celibate?")

I could certainly be wrong, but I'm guessing he was very
careful as to what he said about his sexual status,
allowing folks to *assume* things that weren't the case
without telling outright falsehoods.

Be interesting to see if Bourque's book sheds any new
light on this aspect. More than anything else, I'm curious
about how *MMY* viewed his sexual activity.