--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

> -- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I just can't buy 100% into this victimhood stigma
> > > you wrap these women in.
> >
> > I have to say it bothers me as well. It's one thing
> > to sympathize with a person's pain from the results
> > of a bad choice, and quite another to strip them of
> > any agency in making that choice.
>
> I haven't seen anyone doing this.

I guess we've been reading different posts.

<snip>
> > I think we should give them implicit credit for
> > having recognized they made a bad choice, do what
> > we can to soothe their pain, and leave it at that.
>
> There was a continuum of how much "choice" as involved
> for these women.  In the case of a single mother
> dependent living month to month on a paycheck when the
> boss comes on to them, the choice is pretty small.
> For a young woman in a foreign country being employed
> and supported by their guru, I don't think the "choice"
> aspect is the problem.

It shouldn't be a "problem" in any of the cases. It's
just a fact that there was some element of choice.

The "problems" are in either assuming they had no
choice, or blaming them for the choice that was made.

> > Part of the motivation for portraying them as
> > helpless victims lacking a will of their own
> > seems to be that it facilitates demonizing MMY.
> > The less agency the women are accorded, the more
> > important his agency becomes, hence the harsher
> > the blame that can be piled on him.
>
> This seems like a manufactured argument.

We'll have to agree to disagree. It's been quite
prominent in some of the posts, in my observation.

<snip>
> > Not that he doesn't deserve the lion's share of
> > blame.
>
> Legally he gets all the blame if he is an employer.

I wasn't aware we were speaking legally. None of the
women sued him, as far as I'm aware.

<snip>
>  And
> > it dehumanizes MMY by suggesting that he himself
> > never felt even a shred of remorse. Maybe he
> > didn't, but we don't know that.
>
> I couldn't care less about his remorse, neither do the
> ethical standards and laws.

Nobody asked you to "care" about it. I'm simply
suggesting you acknowledge the possibility.

<snip>
> The second post here is much more troubling because this
> person refused.  I hope she will post some of the
> ramifications of that "choice" so we can more accurately
> focus on the side of the relationship the ethical
> standards and laws are meant to protect.

Obviously my post had nothing to do with those who
refused.