--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

> [...]
> > we can to soothe their pain, and leave it at that.
>
> There was a continuum of how much "choice" as involved for these women.  In
> the case of a single mother dependent living month to month on a paycheck
> when the boss comes on to them, the choice is pretty small.  For a young
> woman in a foreign country being employed and supported by their guru, I
> don't think the "choice" aspect is the problem.
>

> > Part of the motivation for portraying them as
> > helpless victims lacking a will of their own
> > seems to be that it facilitates demonizing MMY.
> > The less agency the women are accorded, the more
> > important his agency becomes, hence the harsher
> > the blame that can be piled on him.
>
> This seems like a manufactured argument.  I'm not sure how you are assessing
> "motivation" but again this is not the issue in play.  The laws and ethical
> standards that protects employees and others from unfair exploitation doesn't
> deal with this side for good reason. It is the line the person in power is
> crossing, not the willingness of the person being exploited.  Maharishi did a
> nice job demonizing himself with his own choices, you can't pin that on
> anyone here.
>

> > Not that he doesn't deserve the lion's share of
> > blame.
>
> Legally he gets all the blame if he is an employer.
>
>  But depriving the women of any agency at
> > all creates an equation that's out of whack.
>
> Again, I'm not seeing this in anyone's discussion. This aspect may not be the
> most reliant issue in play so it may not have come up. I think it misses the
> point actually.
>
>  And
> > it dehumanizes MMY by suggesting that he himself
> > never felt even a shred of remorse. Maybe he
> > didn't, but we don't know that.
>
> I couldn't care less about his remorse, neither do the ethical standards and
> laws.  From Judith's book he seemed to feel some remorse about how the sex
> effected his "energy."  No discussions were recorded concerning how he was
> feeling about her except to blame her for wrong thinking when she tried to
> get out from under his control.
>
> The second post here is much more troubling because this person refused.  I
> hope she will post some of the ramifications of that "choice" so we can more
> accurately focus on the side of the relationship the ethical standards and
> laws are meant to protect.
>
> You've been pretty consistently both supportive of these women and willing to
> take a hard look at Maharishi the person.  I think some of the differences in
> focus for some posters comes from having been around the guy or not.  For
> anyone who has the negative implication of turning down his advances is
> unfathomable.  We stayed up all night for the guy, traveled around the world,
> laundered money, whatever it took to "fulfill the desires of the master."
> When you are around him that IS your technique and you do it before you even

Exactly, he was The Master.  I think the confusion that his advances must have
caused would be more than if a professor or therapist suggested having sex.
MMY was God and supposed to be celibate.  What a genuine shock it must have
been.  In addition, if such behavior on his part resulted in a young girl's
"losing faith" or giving up spiritual pursuits, well that is really a shame.
MMY always said that initiators needed to be extra careful in their behavior,
because the laws of karma were somehow harsher on those who had more knowledge.
 He was supposed to be at the top of the heap - so you wonder if he bbelieved
his own words and worried about the results of his actions on others and even
himself.

And as Judith says in her book,he seemed to turn down the woman who were
obviously trying to seduce him in favor of women he could pursue.  Their
"choice" is the least relevant aspect of what went down IMO.