> This theme -- one species with its own view
> of what ethics entails meeting another with an
> entirely different, not only incompatible but
> *inconceivable* view -- has been dealt with
> often in classic science fiction.
>
> Might I recommend, as a starting point, a story
> by Terry Carr in World's Best Science Fiction
> 1969 called "The Dance of the Changer and the
> Three." Brilliant.

As it turns out, this classic story is online,
and you can read it here (it's on two HTML pages,
so when you get to the bottom of the first you
need to click on the second):

http://lexal.net/scifi/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/carr/carr1.html

This should give you a taste of the magnitude
of the challenge we've been talking about, a
great writer trying to imagine what is
essentially unimaginable, a truly alien
culture, with truly alien values. It was
nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Story
the year it came out. It is still talked about
in science fiction circles as one of the best
examples of such an attempt ever done.

The fascinating thing for me when I first read
it back in 1969 is that the story of the
Changer and the Three is almost Zen in its
essence; it's a koan, which the human trying
to relate the story to other humans knows he
will never and *can* never figure out.

Growing up on Class-A imaginings of the possible
interactions between humans and extraterrestrials
like this is what often leaves me with little
patience when I hear New Age twifs talking about
the "space brothers" and our "friends" from the
Pleiaides. They have no fuckin' clue.