In a message dated 7/31/05 9:33:48 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
But y'know, the funny thing is that I really *would*
love to believe that the TMO has done something
non-self-serving with its money in all this time.  I
think it would be really *neat* if there really *were*
200 schools in India, providing a free or reasonably-
priced education, one that involved being exposed
to the practice of meditation (as opposed to being
forced to practice meditation).  It would be really
nice to believe this.

But I can't.  And the reason is because the TMO lost
*all* its credibility for me decades ago.  After 40 years
of broken promises, "pronouncements" that don't come
true or have anything to do with what we consensually
call reality, consistent abuses of trust, the law, and even
its own followers, *how* could I just take the TM organ-
ization's word for something like this?

How do you tell when Karl Rove is lying?  His lips are
moving.

How do you tell when the TM organization is either
lying or lost in some amazingly delusional fantasy?
They issue a press release or make a "pronouncement."

It's all in the patterns.  If the patterns have been clearly
established for many years (and they have, in both
examples above), how likely is it that those patterns
are going to change at the last minute?

I can't speak for the TMO and the claim of 200 schools, but when I was in Uttar Kashi in the mid 90's there was a Maharishi Vidya mandir or whatever they called it. I was invited with my traveling companion to see the place and speak before an assembly of the students. However the place didn't look anything like these places on the web sites. A few small buildings with tin roofs and a couple hundred students ranging in age from 5 or 6 to late teens. And it wasn't free. But I'm sure the community was happy to have the school.< I could easily see 200  such places in India that the TMO could have started with maybe a few larger places to show off and give the impression they are all like that.