--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shanti2218411" <kc21d@...> wrote:
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
anartaxius@ wrote:
however these weird quantum effects have also been observed or recorded
by machinery, which we presume is not conscious, at least not in any way
like us, and we only find out what the machine recorded sometime after
the fact, our consciousness having not been involved in the actual
perception of the event, until long after.
Actually(and I could be wrong!) I believe that the Bohr et al model (the
copenhagen interpretation)would assert that all the possible recordings
that the machine could have made are themselves in a superposition state
prior to someone (i.e. a conscious observer) checking what the machine
said no matter how long the duration of time that has passed since the
recording.When a conscious observer does check the probability wave
collapses and  one possible outcome comes into existence.(most likely
the one that is most probable).In this analysis(at least as I understand
it) consciousness is considered to be in some sense separate from
material reality and thus not part of the probability wave(which is why
it collapses?).A recent proponent of this perspective is Robert Lanza in
the book "Biocentrism"

I believe that the reason many physicists do not like this model is that
it undermines the notion of physical reality being objectively real
,independent of observation .Probably the most favored model is the many
worlds hypothesis which preserves objective reality but does so by
postulating that there maybe virtually an infinite number of universes.

Fortunately I spend most of my time on very macroscopic scales and do
not have to deal with QM in either a technical or conceptual manner.
Here is the Wikipedia list of QM interpretations. See if it reproduces
the table on this forum (probably  won't work in text-only emails) [it
is also interesting in this table that the Copenhagen interpretation has
a collapsing wave function but the observer is stated as having no role,
only the von Neumann interpretation has consciouness in an active role
in the collapse of the wave function.] [When I pasted this chart into
the forum software, two additional columns on the right showed that were
not visible in the Wikipedia; perhaps they are being edited, as they
seem incomplete.]

InterpretationAuthor(s)Deterministic? </wiki/Determinism> Wavefunction
real?Unique
history?Hidden
variables </wiki/Hidden_variable_theory> ?Collapsing
wavefunctions? </wiki/Wavefunction_collapse> Observer
role?Local </wiki/Locality_principle> ?Counterfactual definiteness
</wiki/Counterfactual_definiteness> ?Ensemble interpretation
</wiki/Ensemble_Interpretation> Max Born </wiki/Max_Born> ,
1926AgnosticNoYesAgnosticNoNoneCopenhagen interpretation
</wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation_of_quantum_mechanics> Niels Bohr
</wiki/Niels_Bohr> , Werner Heisenberg </wiki/Werner_Heisenberg> ,
1927NoNo1 <#endnote_note1> YesNoYes2 <#endnote_note1> NoneNoNode
Broglie-Bohm theory </wiki/De_Broglie-Bohm_theory> Louis de Broglie
</wiki/Louis_de_Broglie> , 1927, David Bohm </wiki/David_Bohm> ,
1952YesYes3 <#endnote_note3> Yes4 <#endnote_note4> YesNoNoneNoYesvon
Neumann interpretation
</wiki/Interpretation_of_quantum_mechanics#von_Neumann.2FWigner_interpre\
tation:_consciousness_causes_the_collapse> von Neumann
</wiki/Von_Neumann> , 1932, Wheeler </wiki/John_Archibald_Wheeler> ,
Wigner </wiki/Eugene_Wigner> NoYesYesNoYesCausalNoNoQuantum logic
</wiki/Quantum_logic> Garrett Birkhoff </wiki/Garrett_Birkhoff> ,
1936AgnosticAgnosticYes5 <#endnote_note5> NoNoInterpretational6
<#endnote_note6> Many-worlds interpretation
</wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation> Hugh Everett </wiki/Hugh_Everett> ,
1957YesYesNoNoNoNoneYesNoTime-symmetric theoriesYakir Aharonov
</wiki/Yakir_Aharonov> , 1964YesYesYesYesNoNoStochastic interpretation
</wiki/Stochastic_interpretation> Edward Nelson </wiki/Edward_Nelson> ,
1966NoNoYesNoNoNoneNoNoMany-minds interpretation
</wiki/Many-minds_interpretation> H. Dieter Zeh </wiki/H._Dieter_Zeh> ,
1970YesYesNoNoNoInterpretational7 <#endnote_note7> YesNoConsistent
histories </wiki/Consistent_histories> Robert B. Griffiths
</wiki/Robert_B._Griffiths> , 1984Agnostic8 <#endnote_note8> Agnostic8
<#endnote_note8> NoNoNoInterpretational6 <#endnote_note6> YesNoObjective
collapse theories </wiki/Objective_collapse_theory>
Ghirardi-Rimini-Weber </wiki/Ghirardi-Rimini-Weber_theory> ,
1986NoYesYesNoYesNoneNoNoTransactional interpretation
</wiki/Transactional_interpretation> John G. Cramer
</wiki/John_G._Cramer> , 1986NoYesYesNoYes9 <#endnote_note9>
NoneRelational interpretation </wiki/Relational_quantum_mechanics> Carlo
Rovelli </wiki/Carlo_Rovelli> , 1994NoYesAgnostic10 <#endnote_note10>
NoYes11 <#endnote_note11> Intrinsic12 <#endnote_note12>
So perhaps Feynman's comment to the effect that we really can't
understand quantum mechanics rules the day. When I meditate, I never
think about stuff like is on this chart, if I have thoughts that is.
With regard to the TMO, I think it is always wise to check alternate
sources of information on these subjects.