Judy:

> Actually, quite a few very interesting things happened
> world-peace-wise back when the numbers were high--the
> fall of the Berlin Wall, for example. Could have been
> just coincidence, of course, but a number of promising
> events took place around the world during this period
> that took analysts by surprise and for which they had
> trouble finding an explanation.

It is more than just that it COULD have been coincidence.  No causality was
proven.  It was just asserted.  What they attempted to prove with statistical
maneuvering is simultaneity.  But they claim much more because people get
confused about the difference between the two.

> The interesting thing is how hard non-TMers have worked
> to attempt to debunk the various studies that have been
> done on the positive effects of the big World Peace
> Assemblies. One might almost wonder if *they* were the
> ones wrestling with cognitive dissonance.

It takes nothing to "debunk" this type of claim.  The claimed benefit is too
vague, so of course some "better" things happened during any period of time.
It is a classic case of preying on our lack of intuition dealing with
statistical matters.

To see through this attempt at grandiose claims isn't due to cognitive
dissonance. It is due to our familiarity with the nature of such bloated claims
about the magical special power of a small group of people.  It is on the same
level of a group of people praying for someone they don't know or who doesn't
know they are being prayed for.

If you shift from the claims and the world back to the believer we know a lot
about the nature of such beliefs.  We have many groups to study and we have
learned a lot about them in the last few decades.  Humans have this cognitive
flaw that they find it pretty easy to believe claims about their special
superiority.  Especially today when it is couched in sciency sounding language.

We also know how stubborn people get once they have latched onto such a belief.
 Panaceas for the the whole wide world! All problems solved with NO effort!
And WE are the ones solving all the problems by doing NOTHING!

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.