--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...> wrote:

> Patanjali, a Hindu, under the sway of evil Vedic gods, believed that sinners
> create their own punishment:
>
> "Negative thoughts and emotions are violent, in that they cause injury to
> yourself and others, regardless of whether they are performed by you, done by
> others, or you permit them to be done.
> They arise from greed, anger, or delusion regardless of whether they arise
> from mild, moderate, or esxcessive emotional intensity. They result in
> endless misery and ignorance. Therefore, when you consistently cultivate the
> opposite throughts and emotions, the unwholesome tendencies are gradually
> destroyed. By abiding in nonviolence, one's presence creates an atmosphere in
> which hostility ceases."
> Yoga Sutra of Patanjali II-34, 35 Ahimsa - Non Violence

Great quote.

Hey Raunchy - as our resident poet, I came across
this the other day. Do you like it? (It comforts me as I
wait in fear for some LARGE zebra to get all medieval on
my arse as he did with Ravi (peace be upon his beloved)):

The Bright Field

I have seen the sun break through
to illuminate a small field
for a while, and gone my way
and forgotten it. But that was the pearl
of great price, the one field that had
treasure in it. I realize now
that I must give all that I have
to possess it. Life is not hurrying

on to a receding future, nor hankering after
an imagined past. It is the turning
aside like Moses to the miracle
of the lit bush, to a brightness
that seemed as transitory as your youth
once, but is the eternity that awaits you.

~ R. S. Thomas ~