--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Yifu" <yifuxero@...> wrote:

> I find it interesting that Catholics say "Holy Ghost" but
> Evangelicals say " The Holy Spirit".

According to Wikipedia, "Ghost" is an earlier usage and comes
from the Old English *gast*, meaning "spirit."

> I'm not exactly sure what the role of this enigmatic Entity
> is - perhaps to inspire people to speak in Tongues, or play
> Gospel music on 12-stringed guitars.

Wikipedia has a pretty good rundown:

-----
In Christian theology pneumatology refers to the study of the Holy Spirit. The
English word comes from two Greek words: ðíåõìá (pneuma, spirit) and ëïãïò
(logos, teaching about). Pneumatology would normally include study of the
person of the Holy Spirit, and the works of the Holy Spirit. This latter
category would normally include Christian teachings on new birth, spiritual
gifts (charismata), Spirit-baptism, sanctification, the inspiration of
prophets, and the indwelling of the Holy Trinity (which in itself covers many
different aspects). Different Christian denominations have different
theological approaches.

Church history contains four critical discussions that have served to
progressively define Christian pneumatology:

1. Patristic period. The early Church engaged in a debate over the divinity of
the Holy Spirit, with Arius asserting that the Spirit is a "creature" or
"angel" and Athanasius countering that the Spirit possesses divine attributes
(such as immutability, transcendence, ability to sanctify, and involvement in
creation).

2. Medieval period. In this period ensued a debate regarding the relationship
between Christ and the Holy Spirit. The Eastern Church asserted that the Holy
Spirit "proceeds" from the Father alone (as stated in the original Nicene
Creed), while Augustine of Hippo and the medieval Catholic Church added the
famed "filioque" clause to the Creed (the Spirit proceeeds from the Father "and
the Son").

3. Reformation and Counter-reformation. Here the relationship between the
Spirit and the Scriptures is re-examined. Martin Luther and John Calvin hold
that the Spirit has a certain "interpretive authority" to "illuminate"
scripture, while Counter-reformation theologians respond that the Spirit has
authorized the Church to serve as authoritative interpreter of Scripture.

4. Contemporary era. The contemporary church understands a distinctive
relationship between the Spirit and the Church community. Various contemporary
theologians grant the Spirit as authority to govern the church, to liberate
oppressed communities, and to create experiences associated with faith.
-----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatology

> Also, I've never encountered any reports of people having
> visions of the "Holy Ghost". Maybe he/she prefers to stay
> out of the limelight.

Far as I'm aware, the Holy Ghost/Spirit, although it's the
"second Person" of the Trinity, is never portrayed in art
as a human bean but is always represented symbolically (e.g.,
by a dove).

Paligap observed that the mapping of rishi-devata-chhandas
to the Trinity was "a bit tricky," but perhaps from the
above it'll be a little clearer. Rishi, the Knower, would
obviously be God; and chhandas, the object of knowledge,
would be Jesus Christ (the Logos). The Holy Spirit would
be devata, the process of knowing, the abstract connection
between Rishi/God the Father and chhandas/God the Son.

Thus it's the Holy Spirit that descends (or emanates) from
God to impregnate Mary, and later to proclaim the adult
Jesus as God's Son at his baptism by John.