From: William Parkinson <ameradi...@yahoo.com>
To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:22:34 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Sleep and TM (are youstill there RC?)

Thank you so much Ravi for allowing me a peek into your experiences. When I say
'questionable utility' what I mean is this. In the Eastern tradition, as I
understand it, the goal of Enlightenment is to  free one from karmic bondage;
that is to say, to end the endless cycle of birth, death, and rebirth (the
'transmigration of the soul'). Enlightenment is always viewed as something that
dispels ignorance. And what is this ignorance? Far more often than not it is
the idea that dualism is illusory. But what if there is no such thing as
reincarnation (as I believe)? What good does the Enlightenment do then? And
what if the phenomenological approach to religion is the worst possible way to
proceed to truth? I should really take the time to write of a compelling
example of this error in religion using the example if the Mormon faith. In the
light of evidence from mitochondrial DNA we can now say that Joseph Smith, and
everything he taught, was completely false
 (there were other lines of compelling evidence that converge on the same
conclusion). And yet Mormons, because of a phenomenon called the 'burning
bosom,' nevertheless, believe wholeheartedly that it is still true. When I get
the time I think I will write a post on this. Hopefully it will be edifying to
everyone on the forum.  In any event, I'm not sure I see how it is useful to
become enlightened, unless it makes a person a better human being; viz.
becoming a more loving person. Of course, this is only my personal belief.  I
would be fascinated to hear anything you can tell me about what value this
period in your life has had for you. I am always endlessly fascinated by the
religious convictions and scruples of people no matter what the religious
tradition. You are one of the few people I have ever encountered who can say
that they entered into a state of consciousness that was at least close to, if
not entirely synonymous with, the classical
 definition of enlightenment.  It would be a welcome exercise to me personally
if you could tell me just a little bit about why you feel it was salutary for
you. In any event, I thank you deeply Ravi for sharing your experiences with
me. I hope to hear more from you soon!
Cheers
Bill