--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:

[...]
> The much-touted witnessing of advanced TMers is seen in normal humans all the
> time, but esp. in the elderly and people in pain. Big whoop.

Derealization during pain isn't the same as witnessing during the waking state,
and the finding that world champion athletes compared to non-world champion
athletes show more of the same kind of EEG signature as long-term TMers do
compared to short-term TM meditators, certainly suggests that there's something
more going on...

> As the Cambridge Handbook of Consciousness put it "Other relaxation
> techniques have led to the same EEG profile, and studies that
> employed counter-balanced control relaxation conditions consistently found a
> lack of alpha power increases or even decreases when comparing
> relaxation or hypnosis to TM meditation."

Citing research that is 25 years old to refute research that is only a few
months old only shows the lack of ethics and/or common sense of the authors of
that book and the people who believe what it says.

> I hope those folks who are so wowed about TM remember to take an Ativan
> before they ever venture into Disneyworld or a Benihana steak house.

Um, OK.

L.