On Jul 15, 2011, at 4:53 PM, sparaig wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:
> >

> > On Jul 14, 2011, at 9:46 PM, sparaig wrote:
> >
> > > However, what I meant by "there's alpha and then there's alpha" is
> > > a reference to the specific pattern(s) that show up during TM,
> > > especially during the pure consciousness state.
> >

> > Alleged pure consciousness state. I don't believe anyone accepts that
> > metaphysical speculation except TM folks - esp. since we now have a
> > much clearer idea of what the EEG of samadhi looks like and what it's
> > physiological results are at the cellular level. Sadly, it has not
> > been seen in TM so far.
> >

> That assumes that what you are referring to is the "real deal" while what I
> am referring to is not.

Well these were lineal realizers from the Patanjali tradition. I guess you'd
have to decide what you'd consider a "fourth" state. They considered it
samadhi. I'm simply stating that EEG signatures well known to be associated
with waking, sleeping and dreaming would not traditionally, experientially, be
considered "the fourth".

> What is fun about *my* real deal pure consciousness state is that it is found
> in self-actualizing non-meditators. Is yours?

Generally NOT. And in the Vedantic trip that's why it was called "the fourth"
(turIya). It's something beyond the ordinary states, other than briefly in
various "peak experiences".