On 07/15/2011 09:04 AM, Tom Pall wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Bhairitu<noozg...@sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>
>> So much to my surprise yesterday when going to the health food store two
>> miles away I noticed that the nearby strip mall now has an Indian
>> restaurant.  So I decided to try it for lunch today.  The buffet though
>> small was wonderful and priced at $8.   And the waiter brought fresh hot
>> naan to the table which is something that other locations are lacking.
>> And it tells you how much I pay attention to that strip mall as when I
>> asked the restaurant has been open 10 months.
>>

> During my extended stay in the Charlotte area I've converted back to
> lactating ovary vegetarian.  So, Indian food is once again of interest.
> There's a large Indian population in NC because of high tech and buying the
> cheapest labor you can get, of questionable quality or not.  There's a chain
> in the South called Bombay Grill.  I'm about to go to one of the outlets for
> lunch.   The food is a bit strange on the buffet (which is $8.95 M-F
> including fresh hot naan brought to the table.  The cilantro soup I swear
> has catsup in it, the raita has sweetener in it.  The food doesn't have the
> fire I'm used to in Texas, but it's not bad, especially for the South.
> This place plays Indian techno music most of the time (yuk) but a couple
> days ago it was playing a bhagan, and I felt a lot more at home.  Anything
> is preferable to Bollywood singing of Kirti, Kirti, Kirty that sounds like
> it's being shrieked by a cat on a hot tin roof.
>
> Better than FF?  Gotta be kidding me.  I don't know if it's the golden agers
> or those who don't want to disturb their sattwa, but Indian food in FF is to
> India as Mexican food in the Midwest is to Texas, Socal or Mexico.

One of the popular places in the San Francisco area East Bay was an
place that served tandoori chicken sandwiches.  They set up a second
restaurant in Concord in the theater building.  Those sandwiches with
chicken, special sauce in a naan were killer.  Unfortunately not killer
enough for the mundane tastes of the locals so the place closed after a
couple years.

The now overpriced south Indian restaurant there serves a killer butter
chicken, the yogurt sauce variety not the tomato one.

The main difference I found between food in India and here was the rice
is a bit different in India.  I found one restaurant in San Francisco
just off Webster which had more authentic Indian food.