--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:
<snip>
> > One POV worth considering is that since TM does not
> > generally oppose the mantra changing in sound or quality
> > or speed, etc., ones mantra could change and they would
> > not remember the "original" sound they were given, but
> > the morphed version. I know mine morphed so that I had
> > to be re-told it on checking several times...
>
> As much as anythign else I suspect that that was a nod to
> your anxiety, rather than an essential part of checking...

He seems to think that it's a routine part of checking
for the meditator to tell the checker his/her mantra,
whereupon the checker corrects it if necessary.

Not the case. Any TMer who's ever been checked would
know this; any TM teacher (or anyone who has taken
checker training) would know this.

Even if the meditator *asks* to have the mantra checked,
it's extremely unlikely the checker would "nod to his
anxiety." The checking procedure is formulated so as to
*disallow* checking of the mantra (see point 23E of the
checking notes). The checking procedure is designed to
make the meditator comfortable with using whatever s/he
remembers, "morphed" or otherwise.

It's not impossible that if the meditator made a huge
fuss, his/her initiator might be brought in to check
his/her mantra, but the checker would stand on his/her
head to avoid it by simply going through the regular
checking procedure loops as many times as necessary in
the hope that the meditator says the hell with it. The
whole idea is to discourage any anxiety the meditator
may have about correct pronunciation.