--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Denise Evans <dmevans365@...> wrote:

> I've said for a long time that it is corporate that's running the show.
>  While I believe Obama thought he could usher in a more just and robust
> America, he wasn't able to and is now another pawn taking directions from the
> big Democratic party doners.
> However, he faced unbelievable odds...Bush and the Republicans left this
> country in tatters after inheriting the strongest federal balance sheet in
> postwar history.  I have no understanding of how anyone could trust that
> agenda, which is why, when I look at the alternative to Obama, I get even
> more worried.
> All politicians give us BS in their speeches - I can't tolerate listening to
> any of them on either side.  I think we need to get a message to the
> Democratic Party and our individual reps...they are just as bad right now in
> using sensationalism and self-righteousness to drum up money as the other
> side...two sides of the same coin.  It's a completely flawed system. Maybe
> there is value in a 4th party, I don't know.
> Until we, the people, address corporate america and demand that they work for
> us and not the other way around, we are screwed.  How do we do this?  I'd
> like to hear some ideas.

I think in our society, just about the only way to change people's minds and/or
to mobilize them to make demands of corporate America is through a movie, or
several, that get the information out in a simple, vivid, unambiguous form.
Most people don't want to think too much or deeply about anything complicated.
So the movies would need to be compelling, clear, somewhat simple, and appeal
to a variety of issues that affect us.  People would have to get that without
change, they are hurt financially, and that with change, they will benefit
financially.

Along with the movie some simple, inexpensive ways to put pressure on
corporations has to be available.

But I hold little hope that anything would work.  If climate change and health
insurance are examples of our behavior on issues, despite how important they
are, then everyone will just follow along in their same thought patterns.  What
I see is that the only reason most people are interested in driving a smaller,
gas efficient car now is because the cost of gas bothers them.  And most don't
want national health insurance because, God forbid, they might end up paying a
few pennies for some disabled or unemployed person's health care, too.  We here
in the US don't do much to help the group - our individualism is entrenched
strongly.