"Jyotish works with a crippled model of our solar system, using a
crippled system of reasoning".
I'm surprised such a stupid statement comes from someone as intelligent
as you. It clearly shows that you haven't spent much time studying
Jyotish. Jyotish does NOT use the solar system, it is that there seems
to be a natural correspondence between the inner nature of a  human
being with certain planets of the solar system, that the microcosm is a
limited manifestation of the macrocosm, hence they associate soul with
Sun, mind with Moon, intellect with Mercury, masculine qualities with
Mars and feminine with Venus.
Then there are Rahu and Ketu that roughly correspond to the nodes,
upagrahas that don't correspond to any planet. Your thinking reflects
the modern Western astrologer who have tried to incorporate the solar
system, however it is not Jyotish.
Prediction is a completely different aspect and I personally don't care
for it. It is a complex area and some of the astrologers like Karve have
made remarkable predictions but I suspect that strong intuition, siddhi
plays a role here.
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> Tom, I think you forgot that Jyotish had no knowledge of the dwarf
planet Ceres, the planets Uranus and Neptune, or the dwarf planets
Pluto, Haumea, Makemake and Eris, and others not officially named.
Jyotish works with a crippled model of our solar system, using a
crippled system of reasoning. Jyotish is systematic as far as
calculating a chart, but that does not mean it can predict anything
better than chance; we are talking prediction here, not a post-hoc fit
to events.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall thomas.pall@ wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM, John jr_esq@ wrote:
> >
> > > Penelope's chart is unique and no other person can duplicate it.
This
> > > applies to everyone in this planet.  The gifts of nature are
different for
> > > everyone.  For example, Bill Gates has a chart for making billions
of
> > > dollars in the computer industry.
> > >

> > Le, le.  We've been thru this bullshit already.   Because so and so
has
> > Pluto in the outhouse, Obama is president of the U.S.    Explains a
lot.
> > Except that 1,000,000 other people also have Pluto in the outhouse.
> >
> > And it's always in retrospect.   Lincoln had this, that and that.
Therefore