--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> Just something to bear in mind: No matter how fallible
> our perceptions may be, they've served us well
> evolutionarily. We wouldn't be here if they hadn't
> supported our survival as a species.

I don't doubt that this value includes our overconfidence in our ability to
perceive reality.  Like many holdovers from our more primitive past, like our
fight or flight response, what has served us so well in the past may need to be
compensated for in our present world.  Let's throw into the mix of confusion
for our brains internal vision and outer vision the whole super compelling
images like my HD TV.  I have noticed a stronger reaction in my body to scary
films or graphic violence from this more immersive experience.

But despite the evolutionary value, primitive societies all over the world also
suffer from superstitious based priest cultures. One member claims to have
visions (and he may) and somehow parlays this into a type of leadership.
Without modern medicine the faith healing of a witch doctor may be the best you
can do.  But we can do better now.  Theoretically that is.  With the healthcare
mess we are in due to monkey power struggles access may make our advances a
moot point and we may have to head back to faith healing!