Looks like Curtis wonderfully summarized the absurdity of all the mantra
madness. I have similar feelings about what would happen if the occasional
movement claims that the mantra list was vetted as being meaningless by the
Berlitz language people were challenged. Berlitz, for me, would be the last
people to ask about the esoteric internals of the religious traditions of
India, but this is, of course, a marketing operation we're talking about.

But to clarify, as I understand it, the mantra list, as well as all the TM
movement's supposedly "secret" or "private" material at minet.org and
elsewhere, is all public domain worldwide and was not copyrighted anywhere.

That may not apply to the efforts of other groups to copyright those mantras or
similar things elsewhere. Such attempts involving very similar lists or
instructions would be unlikely to stick if challenged, if only because of the
long history of them being in the public domain in one place or another, or
otherwise being ineligible for copyright protection.

It's also true that "Transcendental Meditation" was trademarked only in certain
countries, including the U.S. In the UK, if memory serves, it was ruled to be a
generic term and thus not eligible for trademark protection, perhaps the
incentive for the subtle renaming of TM program elements using the "Maharishi"
prefix which might be trademarkable in such places.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>