--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doughney" <mike@...> wrote:

> Looks like Curtis wonderfully summarized the absurdity of all
> the mantra madness.

Well, he sure did hyperbolize it.

> I have similar feelings about what would
> happen if the occasional movement claims that the mantra list
> was vetted as being meaningless by the Berlitz language people
> were challenged. Berlitz, for me, would be the last people to
> ask about the esoteric internals of the religious traditions
> of India, but this is, of course, a marketing operation we're
> talking about.

Never heard that particular claim.

But most people who ask whether the mantras mean anything
are asking about *semantic* meaning, not meanings ascribed
to them by "the esoteric internals of the religious
traditions of India." I suspect it would be entirely
appropriate to ask Berlitz about whether the mantras have
semantic meaning.