I was thinking the same.  History repeats itself again and again as do
"brilliant" ideas, or philosophies, or spiritual concepts taken credit for by
each reincarnation of civilization.  We are just wired, through our ego's, to
bow down to ourselves.

This is why I wonder about the idea that if "we" are supposed to be
transcending to a place where we've settled all our karma debts so we won't be
reincarnated on this plane, why are we not allowed to remember our past
incarnations with each life that we live?  If the goal is a "higher plane" of
existence, it sure would be useful to take advantage of the "lessons learned"
in our journey and my guess is that "judgement" wouldn't hold such venom (if we
could all remember that we had, in fact, killed others in our past), and
"compassion" would reign as a more prevalent guiding global philosophy.  We'd
understand ourselves better as a species.

Or, why are we threatened with reincarnation as "lower life forms" if we don't
make the grade in this life.  How are we to know how to avoid this sad
fate...even though I still wouldn't mind coming back as, say, a house cat.
What about cats? Are they forever to be reincarnated as cats?  What can they do
in this lifetime to help themselves reincarnate as "higher life forms?"  Stop
killing and ignore their nature?

Ignorance is bliss.