Denise, I do TM and I do not see it as brainwashing, other than washing the
brain of clutter, naturally. I like it. It makes me feel good.
All the crap of people trying to manipulate in the TMO, are only that of people
who had previously manipulating behaviors, IMHO, and not the result of
practicing TM, in itself. Although, it took me quite a few years to figure it
out and I have been fooled by some of them.

The fools anger me to no end, because they can make what looks good appear like
a piece of shit.
This category of, "fools," does not include people with claims of injury and
hurt by people in the organization or people who may have had a bad experience
with the presenter, the Maharishi. I believe these people have a right to
express their opinion and also seek comforting or similar words to help them
cope with whatever it was that made them sad, pissed off, or even stop
meditating.
They are not judged as any kind of losers in my thinking sphere.
 I had to really look at the source of my frustrations and that being how I
viewed those who idol worship and are on power trips. I will probably continue
to bash the idiots on this FFL board, but that does not mean I am bashing TM or
any other practice that brings people peace and bliss.
I could not have learned it from a book, because
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5035TY5RSpg   my questions exceed what a book
can answer. I have met good TM teachers and bad TM teachers.
For the most part, having friends who practice this same practice does not make
a mold one could formulate the same stereotype person from, as all opinions
differ among this same practicing group.
 I have lots of very good friends who meditate and lots who do not meditate.
 I am happy with them all.