--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@...> wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2011, at 5:40 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
>
> > To temper this somewhat, the types of topics listed
> > on this group's home page have been "done to death"
> > over the years, discussed up one side and down the
> > other, so many times that most people aren't really
> > all that interested in them any more. Note that lately
> > most posters on the group are so bored with it and/or
> > so incapable of finding anything to write about that all
> > they can think of to post are links to YouTube videos. :-)
>
> I assume you're talking about Bob Price, whom I long ago
> consigned to the Ignore bin.

Sal, I was actually talkin' generically, as I do
from time to time here, although some persist in
thinking It's All About Them.

I'm not comin' down on posting YouTube links, cuz
I do it myself. But I find myself sometimes find
it difficult to put them into any kind of context,
given the lack thereof supplied by the poster. :-)

For example, here is a link to song that was posted
to another forum by a past prolific poster here. He
wisely introduced it as "one of the most beautiful
depressing songs ever written." Without that context,
one could be tempted to believe that the poster was
focusing on the depression, and not the beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1onAfREa4

See how much nicer it is with the context included?
This is a *wonderfully* sad song, straight out of
the Country & Western tradition, delivered with
*just* the proper amount of pathos, and with an
instrumental accompaniment that is as professional
as one can hear in any genre of recorded music. It's
a masterpiece of what it is -- a traditionally sad
C&W song, about a sad reality that may not be ours,
but that we can empathize with, if the song moves
us into the mindspace of compassion.