We went the other night to see the Pinter play, The Caretaker, which has been
so much praised. It was entertaining in a light way but then from the half way
mark boring. The theme is his usual one: the id emerging in some decrepit,
disgusting vindictive form and threatening the isolated dried-up ego. This is
really the English subject at present, the national malady being the awful
inadequacy of the public school ego-kit, the do-it-yourself perfect gentleman
kit, its point-of-death isolation, and the corresponding shrinkage and forlorn
rottenness of the national id so that the whole outfit resembles the stuffed
head of a white walrus mounted on the tail of a bad herring. The failure of
Pinter's play, as far as I am concerned, lies in his utter lack of any
imaginative dimension, the obviousness of the Jungian ego-id formula, and the
triteness of his language, or rather the triteness of the experience of his
characters. The wit is very sharp in a drawing room comedy way and you laugh at
it readily—flattered to know that something very ominous is intended also.
Afterwards you go off with an impression of the lightest entertainment.

Ted Hughes to W.S. and Dido Merwin June 1960

> What's goin' on Bob? What are you doing spending your time
> outwitting KB and Vaj and others that shall not be named?

And who obviously don't care what he thinks of them,
if they even bother to read it. :-)

> We want to hear from you Bob. How's it going from your
> authentic self.

Have you considered the possibility that he has none?

Think about it. How much do *any* of the folks who seem
to live to rag on me and Vaj and Sal *ever* have to
say, except when they're doing the ragging rag? I guess
what I'm suggesting is the same thing you seem to be
suggesting above -- that there is a possibility that
they don't actually *have* anything to say when they're
not playing "Gotcha."

It's just a suggestion. There is a simple way to prove
it wrong, whether the suggestion comes from me, or from
you, or from anyone else. But that would involve any of
them saying something new, or original. I'm betting that
isn't going to happen because the capacity for doing it
simply isn't there.