The Shiva Purana has the "water the root to enjoy the fruit" thing (some
claim to have found it elsewhere too, not surprised).  The cloth analogy
may have been there too but that was in the late 1970s when I read it.
MMY didn't invent a lot of stuff, he just repeated things that were
found in many traditional texts and there is nothing wrong with that.
Just to westerners it was "new."

Somehow people here got sidetracked into the idea of the nervous system
adapting to the influence of mantras as a way to measure enlightenment.
I never said that.  I just said that the nervous system adapts to
stimuli (like duh!).  Science is just beginning to understand how the
brain and nervous system modifies itself given certain stimuli.  The
experience is important not the measurement of it.